Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Edgar Allan Poe


Edgar Allan Poe

Introduction:

Edgar was born on January 19,1804 through October 7, 1849 at age 40. He is an American author, poet, editor, and literary critic. He is known in America as a romantic movement. His best sellings are mystery and macabre, he was the one of the earliests American writers with short stories. He was also the first known American poet to try to live a life that is difficult while having his career. He grew up in Boston and he was the second child of two actors. His father abandoned them in the year 1810 and his Mother died the following year. He was adopted by John and Frances Allan in Richmond, Virginia. When he soon got older he started to write poems. He wanted his feelings to be let go since he had a very difficult life, he wrote poems. He published a poem called, " The Raven " and it was a success, after he married Virginia Clemm, his 13 year old cousin.

2 Facts: 

1. Was only paid $9 for Raven which would be $ 500
2. He was never officially adopted by The Allan Family.

2nd Paragraph:


Alone

        From childhood's hour I have not been
        As others were; I have not seen
        As others saw; I could not bring
        My passions from a common spring.
        From the same source I have not taken
        My sorrow; I could not awaken
        My heart to joy at the same tone;
        And all I loved, I loved alone.
        Then- in my childhood, in the dawn
        Of a most stormy life- was drawn
        From every depth of good and ill
        The mystery which binds me still:
        From the torrent, or the fountain,
        From the red cliff of the mountain,
        From the sun that round me rolled
        In its autumn tint of gold,
        From the lightning in the sky
        As it passed me flying by,
        From the thunder and the storm,
        And the cloud that took the form
        (When the rest of Heaven was blue)
        Of a demon in my view.

I think the poems theme is that all in his entire life he has been alone. His dad left him, his mom died and all o the people he has ever loved left. I choose this poem because people in the world are going through so much and a lot of people are alone. I can relate to this because my grandpa died when I was between 5-8, I can't remember the day. Even though I didn't know him that well, he was still part of the family, so it broke my  
heart when I found out that he was gone. In my opinion, I believe that the poet was a sad person because as you can tell, he has been through a lot.

A Repetition Example: Drawn
Rhyme Scheme Examples: ( ill; still ) ( sky; by ) ( fountain; mountain ) ( storm; form ) ( bring; spring )
Poems Style: has a nice rhyme, it has a pattern
A Personification: "The mystery which binds me still" 
These make the story more better by helping you imagine how the person felt at that time. 

Conclusion:

To sum up this article, I believe that Edgar had a 

hard life but he still made the best out of it. I love 

his poem "Alone". I hope you liked this article.

Questions & Challenge(s)

1. What do you think about Edgar?

2. Did you like his poem?

3. Did you like this article?


The challenge is to write you own kind of poem 

while following the concept of what you need to 

write a poem.



No comments:

Post a Comment